BOOK LIST FOR
Below is a list of books that are relevant to Atlanta Puppet's Animalympics program.
The list is not too long and includes many non-fiction titles found in the juvenile
category of most libraries. Check to see if you have these titles in your classroom
collection, your school library or media center, or go to your local library's web page
and use their book catalog service.
We have purposely focused on non-fiction titles in the list. The recent interest in the
"Harry Potter" line of books has increased demand for fiction and fantasy
titles. Although this is a positive reaction, it should also be noted that non-fiction
works provide practice in reading skills that require retention in order to follow the
directions and instructions that are often provided in the books. As an educator, we think
you will agree that being able to understand and follow instructions is key to any child's
The list includes many titles dealing with the care of domestic pets and identification
of different animals depicted in the show. There are also titles dealing with character
values and communication skills - a central theme in the Animalympic show. Navigation of
the list is by scrolling with your cursor.
- All about cats as pets / by Marjorie Zaum.
- Taking care of your cat / Joyce Pope ; series consultant, Michael Findlay ; photographs
by Sally Anne Thompson and R.T. Willbie
- Catnip; selecting and training your cat. Illus. By Haris Petie
- Cats / by Elsa Posell.
- Cats / by Cynthia Overbeck ; photographs by Shin Yoshino ; [translation of original text
by Kay Kushino].
- A cat's body / by Joanna Cole ; photographs by Jerome Wexler.
- Draw 50 cats / by Lee J. Ames
- How kittens grow, by Millicent E. Selsam. Photos. By Esther Bubley.
- Kittens & cats / by Michael Findlay ; illustrated by Jim Robbins
- Taking care of your cat / by Helen Piers ; consulting editor, Matthew M. Vriends.
- Discovering squirrels / Adrian Davies
- Nature's gliders : the flying squirrels / by Ralph Buxton ; pictures by Angus M. Babcock
- The squirrel / by Margaret Lane ; pictures by Kenneth Lilly.
- The squirrel in the trees / text by Jennifer Coldrey ;photographs by Oxford Scientific
- Squirrels : a wildlife handbook / Kim Long ; scientific advisor, Vagn Flyger.
- The squirrels / by Jana McConoughey ; edited by Howard Schroeder ; produced and designed
by Baker Street Productions.
- Squirrels / by Emilie U. Lepthien
- Tree squirrels / Colleen Stanley Bare ; illustrated with photographs by the author.
- The world of squirrels / text by Jennifer Coldrey ; photographs by Oxford Scientific
APES AND MONKEYS
- All about monkeys / by Robert S. Lemmon ;illustrated by Jean Zallinger.
- Amazing monkeys / written by Scott Steedman ; photographed by Jerry Young.
- Monkey / by Caroline Arnold ; photographs by Richard Hewett
- Monkeys. Illustrated by Gardell D. Christensen
- Monkeys : the Japanese macaques / by Cynthia Overbeck ; photographs by Osamu Nishikawa.
- Monkeys / Tess Lemmon.
- Monkeys and apes / words by Dean Morris
- Primates : apes, monkeys, prosimians / by Thane Maynard
- Gorilla / written by Ian Redmond ; photographed by Peter Anderson & Geoff
Brightling. Redmond, Ian
- Caring for your dog / by Mark McPherson ; photography by Marianne Bernstein.
- Dog training for kids / by Carol Lea Benjamin ; ill. by the author, photos by Charles
- Dog training for kids / by Carol Lea Benjamin ; illustrations by the author ;
photographs by Charles Wiesehahn
- How the wolf became the dog / John Zeaman.
- How to train your dog in six weeks / by Bill Landesman and Kathleen Berman.
- Prairie dogs / by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent ; photographs by William Muņoz
- Puppies are special friends / by Joanne Ryder ; illustrated by James Spence.
- Taking care of your dog / Joyce Pope ; photographs by Sally Anne Thompson and R.T.
- Taking care of your dog / by Helen Piers ; consulting editor, Matthew M. Vriends.
CHARACTER VALUES AND COMMUNCIATION SKILLS
- Chicken soup for the kid's soul : 101 stories of courage, hope, and laughter / [compiled
by] Jack Canfield ... [et al.].
- The value of compassion / by Nancy Rue
- What do you stand for? : a kid's guide to building character / by Barbara A. Lewis.
- What to do when your mom or dad says-- "Be good!" / by Joy Wilt Berry ;
[pictures by Bartholomew].
- I like being me : poems for children about feeling special, appreciating others, and
getting along / written by Judy Lalli ; photographs by Douglas L. Mason-Fry
- Saying what you mean : a children's book about communication skills / by Joy Wilt ;
illustrated by Ernie Hergenroeder
- We can get along : a child's book of choices / by Lauren Murphy Payne ; illustrations by
ATLANTA PUPPET Peter & Mary
Ann Hart 770 621-9162 email@example.com